noteworthy proposals
user's license
POW2000 cost
lecture subjects
user's license
company profile
corporate structure
corporate location

Vitro's PMS-377 Engineering Support Services (IDIQ) proposal to NAVSEA, (1985)
Vitro bid against TRW in 1979 and lost, and again in 1983 and lost (proposal was scored "marginal to acceptable"). The customer was happy with TRW, the RFP was skewed to TRW, and the Source Selection Plan was skewed to TRW. Mr. Ransone, as proposal manager, forced Vitro to include features and benefits not called for in the RFP, and focusing upon the customer's overall problems and concerns. The proposal was scored "acceptable to exceptional," and was so strong that Vitro "won" by a wide margin. Unfortunately, for Vitro, TRW demanded—and got—a BAFO, by which they underbid Vitro, ultimately winning the award.

Loral Electronic Systems' (LES) Advanced Radar Warning Receiver for the F-16 SPO, Wright-Paterson AFB, Ohio, (1988)
Our client had no proposal capability, only a logistics publications organization. A previous attempt for this award had resulted in chaos and solicitation canceled by the USAF. LES built a Proposal Center to RAI's specifications. Mr. Ransone organized the proposal team and the proposal, chaired the morning meetings, and directed the entire proposal effort. Mrs. Ransone managed the Proposal Center and coordinated the entire proposal including all text and illustrations. The proposal effort lasted six months. LES was awarded a $210 million contract with no CRs, no DRs, and no questions.

Loral American Beryllium Corporation's (LABC) Technology Reinvestment Program proposal to ARPA, (1993)
LABC is a beryllium "build to spec" manufacturer with no proposal capability. Mr. Ransone reviewed company brochures and presentations, and interviewed key company people. Then Mr. Ransone wrote the 35-page proposal from scratch, including completing necessary forms, abstract, technical approach, management plan, business plan, statement of work, schedule, deliverables, and price. After LABC reviewed the draft and added comments, Mrs. Ransone formatted, published, and reproduced the proposal for LABC's signatures. All of this was done in only eight days.

Rotary Power International's (RPI) proposal for prime and alternate engines to two prime contractors (UDC and General Dynamics) for their proposals for the US Marines' Advanced Amphibious Assault Vehicle, (1995)
RPI had no proposal capability and needed to prepare proposals to both United Defense Systems and to General Dynamics, for both a primary engine and an alternate engine program—four, 200-page proposals. Furthermore, the proposals had to be delivered in both hard copy and in WordPerfect 6.0 for Windows. RPI had WordPerfect 5.0 for DOS, and one portable computer with WordPerfect 6.0 installed. RAI used Word for Windows 6.0 on its own portable computers. Mr. and Mrs. Ransone orchestrated completion of all four proposals from scratch in only three weeks, with the excellent support of RPI and its willingness to follow directions.

Esterline Armtec proposal for aircraft decoy flares to the U.S. Army (2004)
The customer planned two awards, one for 45% and the other for 55% of the total acquisition, in order to maintain a production line in the event of an accident on one line. There were three bidders. Armtec was ISO certified and had the quality procedures, but was concerned about some details. We observed that all of their production people were incredibly dedicated and committed to producing the best flares possible - some had been with the company for 40 years; some had relatives in Iraq and stated their recognition of the importance of producing flares that worked right every time. We established the theme that "At Armtec, quality is not inspected in, it is built in throughout the process because of the dedication and commitment of our people." Our manufacturing process flow chart showed pictures of each individual doing his/her job, with a statement from each person. Our proposal scoring was identical to our major competitor's, except for the Quality section - our competitor was scored "Good" and we were scored "Excellent." As a result, Armtec was awarded the 55% contract, bought the losing company, and is now the world's largest producer of decoy flares. The president of the company presented us with a framed picture and a brass name plate that stated: "We couldn't have won without you."

Copyright © Ransone Associates, Inc. 2011.